Happy New Year everyone! For New Year's Eve/ College Football Playoffs I'm in the middle of making flatbreads, chicken wings and some caramelized shallot/yogurt dip for waffle chips & green beans. Probably also a cocktail with one of these mezcals and the pineapple/pommelo sitting on the counter.
As promised last week, this week’s compilation starts with LOTS of 2015 recaps:
- This year we were told not to eat MANY things for reasons ranging from cancer to slavery to the water table in Cali, here’s a recap on those from the SF Chronicle.
- “Digesting 2015” is definitely the best title out of all of them.
- This is the winner of most hipster of them all: 2015 in Portland, OR food truck news.
- Disney made their own list of the year in food, Star Wars heavy of course.
- I like this one focusing on dishes and organized by month, so you know they really are remembering the whole year, so thorough it is in two parts..
- The most popular stories on Eater Brooklyn (weirdly I couldn't find one for DC...they might have done it at the beginning of the month I guess).
- The most popular recipes from Alton Brown this year.
- And finally a look back at the songs listened to while cooking at Saveur magazine.
A few bits of news actually from this week:
- The exorbitant prices for eating in Times Square tonight.
- NPR also wants you to know how to avoid a hangover.
- Any kind of social network will breed weird kinds of superstars and snapchat is apparently no different. What is interesting is that DJ Khaled, the “first snapchat superstar”, has a private chef and those meals are part of what made him famous. Here’s what Bon Appetit thinks you can learn from him.
- This one isn't really food related, but from WaPo why the new year starts in January.
And looking forward, here’s lists of what (and why) to eat to ensure yourself good luck for 2016:
- From Epicurious, this one includes what NOT to eat.
- American New Year’s Day food organized as a timeline.
- A list of 9 from Yahoo! Food.
- And a list of 10 from Bon Appetit.