The only intro I have for this week is to describe the salad I had last night in Charlottesville at The Whiskey Jar because it was brilliant: spring greens, pickled red onions, prosciutto-style VA ham, a chicken dripping vinaigrette (!), crispy bits of chicken skin (!!), and a soft-boiled then grits encrusted deep fried egg (!!!). Suffice to say I''m still thinking about it.
- Cookbook trends: calling all men. Or really it looks like “calling all bros” with the prevalence of bacon and the word dude.
- Also, I’d like to put forward that we should call cookbooks like this one retrospectives or monographs like in the art world since they are designed as a record of achievement, not as instructions.
- The full list of chef and restaurant recipients of the James Beard Foundation Awards for 2015. This has been said elsewhere...but man do they love their sponsors.
- I don’t know about triathlon training, but I think it should be everyone’s goal to eat breakfast like a Hobbit. Especially those meals at Tom Bombadillo’s house early in the first book.
- A short bit about Mark Bittman being Mark Bittman.
- A primer from DC area chefs on what “fast-casual” actually means.