I tried a sauce from the proprieter of Franklin Barbecue this week, an ancho-fig sauce. Very yummy despite the fact that I could only find dried figs. There will definitely be something like it on the next seasonal menu. Probably with some chicken like this mahogany beauty (or pretty patina as someone just said looking over my shoulder).
- Audrey Hepburn made a cookbook!? Talk about a double (/triple/quadruple) threat.
- The freezer is your friend.
- Seriously guys, food waste is a problem. Here’s what you can do to minimize your own.
- A fascinating question: why/how do avocados exist...evolutionarily speaking?
- I’m a big fan of Rep. Wasserman Schultz’s relative lack of hysteria and I’m also glad to see clean eating being touted from the capitol building.
- An interesting take on the hot trend of “meal boxes”, these are of course a competing business model with mine in many respects (boo), but the article is still good and I am a fan of new ideas for circumventing food waste.
- Most food sections had a eulogy for Juli Soler this week, the restaurateur behind El Bulli, I though this one from NYTimes was the most personable.
- Articles about GMO ingredients are rarely unbiased but this week the Wonkblog features an interview looking for the reason why the public at large is ‘afraid’ of them. I’m already excited for the interviewee’s book next year.
- Lastly, this is only tangentially related to food but I love this story: a movie once thought lost to time has been found in someone’s vault/collection...which includes the mythical “greatest pie throwing fight ever on film”.