One of my favorite things this week was essentially an art piece encouraging playing with your food. Incidentally, my mom told me this week I should start a new blog feature called "Playing With My Food" focusing on food photography.
And now the links...
- Fifty years of [Brussels] Waffles in the US!
- An interesting opinion piece on salad and the future of feeding the world actual nutrients (p.s. it is anti-”salad” so be prepared).
- NYTimes’ quarterly think piece on tipping vs. paying a living wage.
- A great NPR piece about a town in Spain and their solution to feeding the needy with restaurants’ excess food. It has a great name: The Solidarity Fridge.
New words in the OED!
- Processed foods in their intended form (to play with not eat).
- Two congressmen have opinions on food regulations, and they actually try to do things about them.
- It’s fall and schools are starting everywhere. The Southern Foodways Alliance has a syllabus if you’re looking for some good reading, no papers required.
- Recreating favorite food scenes from books for a book.
- And to finish, the biggest story of the week (which I care the least about): the McWhopper kerfuffle.