Wait, no, no pinching. Look- my noodles are totally wearing green today!!!Read More
I'm beginning to really feel how long it has been since I've cooked anything (other than rosemary) out of the garden. The month or so before asparagus season is going to feel so long. Luckily there's always weird things going on in the news to detract from that:
- France has passed a food waste bill for stores banning them from discarding (or intentionally making inedible) unsold product. In England there is a similar bill getting a second reading in the House of Commons. I’m waiting DC…..
- And talking about waste….at least this obscene amount of money went to a charity of some kind. How much would you pay for a bottle of “secret sauce”?
- Do you want to live in New York City (well, okay, Staten Island)? Have you ever dreamed of having a job “in-residence”? Can you farm? If you answered yes to all three questions this is the job for you.
- Don’t expect lobster in your lobster dish at restaurants. Or at least not with an “unbeleiveably low” pricetag.
- PSSSST. There is an All-Star game for chefs!
- Something to bookmark if you plan to go out to Charlottesville anytime soon.
- Free snacks may be back, but airplane food is only good for those who can afford it.
- Mike Isabella is taking over at Tyson’s Corner. Watching the articles about this scroll by, I also learned that he blocks several of the food writers around DC.
- If you can create a free hour for yourself, here’s Anthony Bourdain interviewing Jacques Pepin on stage at the 92nd street Y last fall.
- I clicked on this because I thought it was the “containing cheese” connotation of cheesy as opposed to the silliness it actually is, but man will restaurants do weird things to get attention.
- Also some, I guess we’ll go with unique, chocolate options.
- A news briefing on grocery stores all over the world, including the fact that Publix is moving north into Virginia.
- This has been everywhere so I felt obligated to include it; I can’t imagine actually wanting to eat anything with artificial colors like that. But funfetti is pretty popular so I guess there's a market.
A really good list of links this week. Everyone (or the subset of everyone that is food reporters) was apparently on their a-game for those of us waiting for snow plows this week.Read More